PDA

View Full Version : Chuckyds first Build...

chuckydobson
07-30-2007, 08:56 PM
Hey Boys and Girls..I built my first machine.

Antec P180 Case
Asus M2N Sli Delux
Antec Trio 650
4Gb DDR 2 800 GSkill Low Lat
Two WD 250 GB 7200 RPM
EVGA 8800 GTS 320 MB (spent all my money before I got to the vid card LOL)

Sparhawk
07-30-2007, 09:56 PM
LOL in which case you could have ditched one of the HDD's :).. mind you, they're dirt cheap nowadays anyway.. make sure your RAID0 those :D

chuckydobson
07-30-2007, 11:52 PM
LOL, I have no idea how to set up raid, and if I did it, would I have to reload windows....?"

Also my proc is a amd 64 x2 6000

Dagwood
07-31-2007, 07:43 AM
Welcome back Chucky, put you back in the members section....;)

Blue-Meanie
07-31-2007, 08:15 AM
Sweet Rig chucky. The Raid 0 set-up should be in your motherboard manual. Or you can
do like I did take it to the local computer shop and have them set it up. Either way nice set-up.

JoseyWales
07-31-2007, 09:34 AM
Congrats on your build Chuck. I have the same board, just waiting on the rest of my parts to finish it off... Damn budgets always slow me down.

Sparhawk
07-31-2007, 09:52 AM
Yes you would need to reinstall Windows as a RAID 0 configuration effectively makes 2 hard disks act as one with increased transfer rate.

Have you actually built it?

Nice rig though :)

[DP]Monroe
07-31-2007, 01:37 PM
Spar, do you really think theres enough of a preformance boost to make it worthwhile? I used to think it was the way to go but didn't think the speed increase was noticeable so I stopped.

Sparhawk
07-31-2007, 01:56 PM
It all depends on what you want out of the machine. It's always worth while giving your PC a speed boost. Especially one that doesn't overtax the components such as overclocking.

I suppose in thinking about it, 2 x 250GB as RAID 0 is probably far too much for a home PC especially if they are to be used for data storage and there is absolutely NO redundancy should there be a disk crash. Data would be lost.

However, if you have a spare drive on the machine that can be used to regularly back up important data then I'd say yeah, definitely go for the RAID 0.

Ideally, it should be done using two smaller drives e.g. 2 x 80GB or lower. The Operating System should be installed onto the RAID and of course various applications and games. The 250GB drives would be there for data storage as there is no other valid reason for them :)

I recently read about some guy who was raving on about how he'd just bought a new Terabyte (1000GB) hard disk. When asked what he used it for. Windows and Games. Was asked if he used torrents, his reply was "what's torrents".. lol :D

So large disks are only for storage, not OS and Games (unless you plan to have about 30 or more games that weigh in at around 4GB each installed :))

Chucky, the RAID is something you can do if you really want to try it out. Revising my advice, leave the 250's as 2 separate drives and if in the future you do wish to RAID, then buy two 80GB drives (New egg are doing Western Digitals for $41 each) and give it a go. We can help as and when necessary if you need us to. :)

Andy Cap
07-31-2007, 03:09 PM
Nice - I wish I could put together a new rig, but I have no reason to.

As spar said keep teh drives partitioned seperate, and use one to back up theimportant files on the other.

Negolien
09-07-2007, 09:47 PM
Hey,

I was just browsing old posts and wanted to ask how hard it is to build from scratch? I reformated my hds myself many times with XP I installed a new PS and vcard, sound card, pci fan blower, CPU so I have dicked around with a puter a bit thru trial and error. I am however hesitant about spending 500 bucks or so and starting from scratch. Putting in the motherboard scares the sh*it outta me for some reason. Any advice or comments are welcomed.

Cleveland
09-08-2007, 12:21 AM
Hey,

I was just browsing old posts and wanted to ask how hard it is to build from scratch? I reformated my hds myself many times with XP I installed a new PS and vcard, sound card, pci fan blower, CPU so I have dicked around with a puter a bit thru trial and error. I am however hesitant about spending 500 bucks or so and starting from scratch. Putting in the motherboard scares the sh*it outta me for some reason. Any advice or comments are welcomed.

It's easier than you would imagine. I think it's harder to decide on the right parts than it is to assemble everything.