PDA

View Full Version : McAfee issue

Lincoln
05-27-2007, 02:35 PM
McAfee has lived up to its promise and kept everything from my system and even doesn't allow things like EALink to work and go out. So I'm happy as hell with it. However, for the last few days, the mcmscsvc.exe has been running like crazy! 90% load, drive access CONSTANTLY. I kill the process, it ends.

Anyway, if you have this running, go into your processes and set it to stop and disable. Apparently one of those college edumuhcated programmers futzed up somewhere.

Sparhawk
05-27-2007, 07:01 PM
In the past I've found McAffee hoses systems completely to the point the only resolution is a re-install. :)

Smasher
05-27-2007, 09:50 PM
I hate MaAfee. I had to many problems with it.

Butch
05-27-2007, 10:08 PM
Good luck if you want to throw it out. It's pretty hard to do so.

I was with AVG but a couple of months ago I got the message that my time was up. Now I have nothing (......I know how pissed Spar can get about this ;).) Do you have any suggestions?

Kennedy
05-28-2007, 01:01 AM
I read the title of the thread and all I thought was....yeah...and

McAfee=Ass

NewMerlin
05-28-2007, 03:12 AM
Uninstall and reinstall McAfee and you should be good for a few months again. It does that often.

By the way Butch AVG is still free for personal use you just have to download version 7.5. The old version couldn't update automatically to 7.5 so they sent out a notice it would expire around the first of the year.

http://free.grisoft.com

Sparhawk
05-28-2007, 03:17 AM
Good luck if you want to throw it out. It's pretty hard to do so.

I was with AVG but a couple of months ago I got the message that my time was up. Now I have nothing (......I know how pissed Spar can get about this ;).) Do you have any suggestions?

NOD32 seems to do a reasonable job :)...

I get the feeling Linc is gonna post a four page breakdown :D ;) :yahoo:

Lincoln
05-28-2007, 07:42 PM
Um, you forget I do forensic work and spent the last few years working on a Network Exploitation team. McAfee is right below Kaspersky for tops in protection. A lot of whitehats worth their salt would tell you to go with McAfee or Kaspersky.

Different realms I guess. But with all the people clamoring for free (and worthless from my experience) stuff, its no wonder Vista comes out with better defense than other OS's.

Oh, speaking of Vista. Sector 00 marks a partition on a new drive and you offset 63 sectors to find the beginning of data on that partition. In Vista, sector 00 marks the partition's existence but the offset is now sector 2048. I suspect there's going to be more security installed in the HPA (Host Protected Area) of drives not only to defend your computer but to hold DRM and other "features". Keep your copy of XP folks.

Butch
05-28-2007, 11:31 PM
I'll try AVG again. It worked good enough for me.

Vargus
05-29-2007, 08:20 AM
I am with Lincoln. I have been using McAfee for about a year now and it has been great. It doesn't hurt that as a Comcast customer you get it for free. ;)

Andy Cap
05-29-2007, 10:44 AM
McAfee suxxors. I know wwe need AV on our machines, but they are so messed up as a rule. I would say 50% of the issues I deal with are related to AV

Sparhawk
05-29-2007, 12:18 PM
I guess it's all down to experience Linc...

I learned a long time ago not to trust experts ;). No disrespect dude but where there's a fact, there's always a contradiction.

I installed McAffee on a number of machines... everyone of those machines came back to me with a hosed OS. Maybe I was unlucky.. ;).

I've installed Norton Internet Security on a number of machines and prior to version 2004, it was prefectly fine. I never got one machine back and I never heard reports of unusual behaviour with the machine that could amount to a virus being resident. Nowadays, I just let people use whatever they want as I'm done building, configuring and repairing PC's for people...

I am currently using NOD32 (I believe based on your recommendation... can't remember). Seems ok at present.

I don't pay for AV but I don't go for Free ones either :)

Andy Cap
05-29-2007, 01:31 PM
I would agree with teh Sparhork.

Although I see issues with many kinds of AV - McAfee seems to be the flakiest. Network Associates seems to have a better grasp of how to co exist.

Lincoln
05-29-2007, 03:09 PM
Network Associates bought out another company and used their FW as their own. I owned the original and its EXACTLY the same.

Norton, in its many previous versions, had so many holes and hidden spots a hacker party could happen on your machine and you wouldn't know. Even today their home products are as effective as a screen door on a submarine. Working CNA/CNE, you appreciate the lemmings who buy it year after year.

McAfee is by far one of the strongest out there. True, in some cases it completely futzes systems. True, in some cases you have a downspiral of performance. However, its not the FW that is the issue. The issue comes from their AV client which is extremely aggressive, even when you set it to passive mode. I own the suite and only have the FW installed. When I had the AV client, performance went to a crawl.

What I have it the router locked down tight. I have the FW locked down tight. Once a month I DL the AV client and do a sweep. I then uninstall it. To back this up, I run two different online scanners. I run Hijaack This and also review the entire registry and file structure. Once all that is done, I run a backup. Extreme maybe, but considering the places I go for work study (hacker forums, DL sites, etc), I've yet to be infected. But, hey, I'm a little OCD on protecting my system.

I could do the easy thing and install DeepFreeze (http://www.faronics.com/html/deepfreeze.asp) but haven't done that yet.

Dagwood
05-29-2007, 03:11 PM
Currently running McAfee Security Center and other than a few hiccups after I first installed it there seems to be no problems. It updates, scans, cleans registry and cache so far so good.

Now that I posted all is good, the damn thing is sure to crap out within 10 days....:rolleyes:

Sparhawk
05-29-2007, 06:36 PM
I just start my darn machine up and play meh freakin games :D...

Have had 2 viruses in the entire period of internet usage.

Win95.CIH or whatever it was (during my days on Win98)... this was the BIOS killer though fortunately it didn't do anything like that. I have a nice copy of that on a CD just incase I come across someone with a 9x PC who's pissed me off :D..

I had Dr. Solomon installed at that point. - many years ago.

The second one was one that had literally been in the wild for hours... it sent a file via MSN, auto downloaded and hosed EVERY single AV possible. Could not browse to ANY AV sites.. even when I emailed AVG in a zip file, as soon as I unpacked it, it killed the EXE. Couldn't go to the online sites...

I fixed it all in about 10 minutes with a drive image.

I'm of the opinion that I just don't care too much to be so paranoid. I run AV and a Hardware firewall. I've not had a single issue on my machine.

Once, I thought something was going on so I ran a packet analyser and all it was, was a minor memory leak in an internet based app that was causing a few too many ARP packets to be thrown about. Uninstalled and re-installed said app and problem solved.