Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Anyone install the RTM version of Windows 7 yet? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Anyone install the RTM version of Windows 7 yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln View Post
    Lifehacker.com has a lot of interesting articles on Windows7. One article shows how you can upgrade from the "beta" you installed months ago to the full version. Other articles cover upgrading issues seen when going from XP to W7. Worth a shot... be prepared before you start.

Anyone going from XP to W7 run into any serious issues other than drivers? Did your system state transfer over? All your programs still run?
    Linc,

There is no direct upgrade from XP to 7, it HAS to be a fresh install. Since that's the case, you have to reinstall all apps. Buttercup and I are upgrading - her's is finished, one nice thing is that for steam games, (even going from XP 32b to Win7 64b) all you have to do is copy the "SteamApps" folder, and when you install Steam on your new Win7 install, just copy the SteamApps folder back in under the Steam directory, and you're good to go. I was amazed that this works, but it seems to work just fine. I think the first time you run a steam game, it sets up all the registry stuff again. Savegames, custom maps, mods, achievements, etc. are all preserved.

CoD series games are just a matter of copying your profile to the correct directory and re-applying the updates. No driver issues so far - we've been able to find everything we need.

In the past, I've made lengthy ranting posts about not moving past XP till I need to. I wasn't going to touch Vista with a 100 foot electric cattle prod, but I have to say that Windows 7, at least from the 15 minutes I was playing with it on Buttercup's computer, looks farily polished. Memory usage isn't radically higher than XP, and it is pretty responsive (but what fresh install isn't? We'll see how that changes over time.)

I'm still worried about CoD2 compatibility, as I've heard there are issues with Win7 and CoD2 sound. Short of that, initial testing on Buttercup's computer is showing pretty good compatibility and performance (but I didn't turn on framerates in the game, so I have no hard numbers.)

How to turn the $30 student purchase of Windows 7 into DVD ISO.

Going from XP to W7 Ok, you have to get into the article some and then you find some nice links for tools to assist in keeping your system state, etc. Of course, as you stated beef, it is a fresh install. However, between a fresh wipe and install or a partition and xfering your data over, I'll take the xfer of data.

Also part of the article details how to go from Windows 7 RC to RTM.

Hope you enjoy some reading.

Installed today, liking it so far! Had to jump through a couple hoops to get a bootable DVD, but nothing any of us couldn't do easily. You don't need to have a copy of windows in order to use your upgrade. I didn't even have a formatted drive connected when I installed my copy. The only problem I had was when I extracted the dl it gave me an error at the end, but I ignored it, not a prob. And then it wouldn't accept my key, but I heard that's a common thing with XP32-Win7 64, and I just didn't put in my key and activated later.

I'll be dual-booting for a while until I'm happy with how things are going. So far I like the interface, and even though I didn't mess with Vista, it does look like it from what I've seen of Vista. Not as annoying, I can't wait to stretch its legs and see what she can do... Also, I went from XP 32bit to Win7 64bit, so anyone freaking out about that, no worries. sevenforums.com has a crapload on installation, and while it seems to have caused some issues, I think it's more people not reading and bitching than anything.

We'll see how she does when i start installing games and stuff, but if all else fails, I have enough juice in my rig to run the virtual XP with some to spare.
    "You are 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you react to it."

Ahhh, after diagnosing my problem as not a bad video card, but 2 burned out RAM sticks I've upgraded to 8 gigs of RAM and now I'm really flying my Win 7 x64 Ultimate. Now to catch up on my COD:WaW playing...

Godspeed - [DP]Dracus & [DP]BluePhantom
    Dag was here...ohhhh, so that's what that smell was.

Guess I'm a little late on this thread. I've been running W764U now for almost a week. Both installations I've done thus far have been pretty smooth. Note, neither was an upgrade and both were done on freshly created partitions. I've been doing this long enough where I don't believe in upgrades. Also, both machines have run XP 32bit, Vista 32bit Ubuntu Hardy 32bit Ubuntu Koala 64bit for some time now so I have direct comparisons in both cases.

First was my gaming rig, which runs an nforce 750i mother board with Core 2 Quad Q6600. This install went smooth as silk. I actually am still surprised considering it had a RAID 1 setup. Windows 7 never had a single problem with anything on this machine. Of course, once it was up I gave it all the new Windows 7 64bit drivers which I'm sure made it real happy. On this machine, Windows 7 takes everything I give it and begs for more.

Gaming is faster, the new interface is great and over all performance is much better than Vista. Utilization of the Quad processor is better then the others, especially under load. Even though Vista never really gave me much trouble it was always unusually slow in comparison to XP and both didn't multi thread very well with the Quad. The only thing I haven't been able to test on it is BluRay support and that's because the software I have is outdated and only for Vista. I plan to remedy this soon.

Next was my laptop which is a Dell Precision M4300. This was the real test for Windows 7 because there has definitely been a mix of performance results on this machine with the OS's that have been on it. Windows 7 did load fine on the Dell, but once it booted it up I would get blue screen IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL intermittently. Anyone that has dealt with these knows, they are just about useless at telling you what's actually wrong. So, I started replacing drivers. First the chipset, then the NIC and Wifi then the video driver. Areo Peek wouldn't even load up until I replaced the video driver. Somewhere between chipset and NIC it stopped crashing and hasn't crashed since. Once the drivers were loaded, it really started to impress. Vista was slow but usable on this machine and Ubuntu ran pretty well, but is choppy once loading Compiz Fusion. On this machine I'd have to say XP is still faster but not by much and only once loading Aero Peek on Windows 7.

In these two cases, Windows 7 was definitely a HUGE improvement over the Vista release and I would with out a doubt recommend it. Even though the GUI award still goes to Ubuntu and Compiz Fusion, Windows 7 has been an overall better experience.

The only warning I would give with Windows 7 is to make sure you check driver support for your hardware before loading. I'm surprised at how some manufacturers are not supporting hardware that's only a couple years old. Especially printers.
    Last edited by LANMAN; 11-04-2009 at 02:11 AM.

Banned

Microsoft have a advisor for anyone who may think their system wont be able to run. Mainly XP system users might want to use it heres a link just download it and see what it comes back with

I used it and i got the student discount over here i can get it from college for £30 including postage which is a rip off at £15

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...pgrade-advisor

As promised my win 7 review.

I will keep this short. If you want to know whats new in win 7 theres plenty of info on the net this is my experience of the install and use.
    Ok to date I have now done three installs of win 7 two were upgrades from vista and one full install on XP all were the win 7 premium 32 bit. The 2 upgrades from vista were on an i7 desktop and a AMD Athlon x2 laptop. Both were easy, simply put the disk in and 2 hours later I had the brand new OS and all the files intact. The only issue was one driver needed updating manually for a creative xfi sound card. The full install over XP only took 20 mins and to my disbelief saved all my files (sweet). There was one issue on this install. The Belkin wifi dongle I used would not work properly so I fitted a pci wifi card and the problem was solved.
    I find win 7 very similar in looks and use to vista, on idle I am using 800 mb of ram with vista it was 1050 mb generally it seems quicker. Hope this info helps.

Am in the midst of finding drivers and stuff for my ASUS laptop, which is now running Windows 7 in 64 bit mode, on a new 500G hard drive. Hasn't been easy, and there's still a long ways to go, but all I can say is:

SCHWING!!!!
    Last edited by Johnny Canuck; 11-05-2009 at 01:25 AM.
    Siggy.

DP's Resident Asshat Blind Squirrel's Avatar

I have to say that I am nothing but pleased with Windows 7 so far.

the wife got 7 from her boss at her company get together, the bitch.

Thread Information