Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Rebuilding System - Looking for input 32bit/64bit
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rebuilding System - Looking for input 32bit/64bit

So I am kicking around the idea of wiping my system and rebuilding it. While I am at it I was thinking of throwing on a 64bit OS instead of a 32bit. My processor is capable of 64bit, but was installed as 32bit since I only purchased Windows XP home and that did not have a 64bit release.

My basic specs are a Dell Dimension 9150 with single hard disk, 4 Gb ram (I know 32 bit only recognizes 3Gb), Intel Pentium D Presler 930 3Ghz processor, and an Nvidia 9600GT 512Mb video card.

I have been thinking of adding a second Sata Drive and running Raid 0 across the two drives for increased performance. My only hesitation is that I don't want to overload my power supply. I am already pushing it with the video card upgrade and I am not sure adding another peripheral would be in my best interest.

I have an OS license that I can use to install Windows XP Pro 64bit, or I can also install a copy of Windows Vista Business 64bit. Unfortunately I don't have a Windows 7 license or I would give that a try. I have ruled out Linux since I just don't like the headaches to get everything running properly only to have it all messed up everytime I run the apt-get updates. Plus it is a pain to get most games running in Linux. The few I am playing most often do not have Linux clients and performance is probably lost a bit running it in a virtualization software such as WINE.

So what do you think? I have heard of a lot of issues caused by XP Pro 64bit, and not that much of a performance increase according the bench mark tests. Mainly becuase most software isn't written yet to take advantage of the 64 bit processing. With Vista I have heard varying reviews. Some like it, others do not. DX10 would be a bonus to Vista, but I think I might just disable DX10 anyway for better performance. I think Vista is ok as far as an OS goes, but I am looking for best performance and not just the most impressive eye candy.

Oberführer, Department of Forum Signatures Sparhawk's Avatar

Default Re: Rebuilding System - Looking for input 32bit/64bit

I run XP 64bit with no problems at all. As for performance gain. I suppose it's not massive but if you have a licence, you may as well install it.

Personally, I'd stay clear of Vista as I've used a number of machines with it on and it's just a plain dumb OS.

A.K.A *The*Grim*Peeper* -- You may be a King or even a street sweeper but
    sooner or later, you'll meet the Peeper
    My Smugmug gallery

In my opinion, it just boils down to what feel right to you! Like Spar stated, staying away from vista might be a good thing. I'm running XP Pro 64 on my laptop and Vista Ultimate 64 on my desktop and am having no problems. 64bit, at least in my opinion, is kind of the way to go. Benefits with a 64bit O.S., if you ever want to seriously upgrade your hardware, like adding more than 3 gigs of RAM the O.S. will recognize it and use it, a 32bit won't. Plus, again in my opinion, a 64bit has proven to me to be a more stable platform. Recently my Vista Home Premium 32bit went south in a hurry, it lost it's stability and fell to pieces. And that was on a very proprietary laptop, and my 32bit dropped out. I don't know, it all comes back to what ever feels good to you. I'm sure there are other more educated people around here that could chime in and give you some good Pro's & Con's of each bit format.

[
    DP]L.B. Johnson

64 bit.

It allows for better RAM utilization.
    The ark was built by a single motivated individual,
    ˙˙˙sןɐnpıʌıpuı pǝuıɐɹʇ ʎןɥƃıɥ ɟo dnoɹƃ ɐ ʎq 'ɔıuɐʇıʇ ǝɥʇ

North American Rep Furious_George's Avatar

Everything is going to be going 64 bit eventually. Dag hit it on the nail though. If youre planning on upgrading your PC in the future, with a 64 bit OS you can add WAY more RAM. Im running an Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 with 8GB of DDR2. Fastest machine ive had so far. The Core2 i got is more or less the highest until you go into the Core2 Quad

<a href=http://dpworldgaming.dpguild.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29&d=1177809341 target=_blank>http://dpworldgaming.dpguild.net/for...9&d=1177809341</a>
    All great truths begin as blasphemes
    Sir George Bernard Shaw
    In Vino Veritas
    *wisper*Sword of the Stars

Go 64 bit, for sure - but if you do that - you might want to consider Windows 7, I've NOT heard great things about XP64.

I have owned one of these (9150) and if its the same as mine was it will have a 375 watt psu. I would strongly recommend you consider changing this for at least a 450 watt, 500 + would be great then do the other upgrades.

JamJar is wise in ways of power.
    The ark was built by a single motivated individual,
    ˙˙˙sןɐnpıʌıpuı pǝuıɐɹʇ ʎןɥƃıɥ ɟo dnoɹƃ ɐ ʎq 'ɔıuɐʇıʇ ǝɥʇ

Thanks for the input so far. I am leaning towards XP x64 so far. The power supply is definitely a good recommendation. I don't plan on expanding this unit out any further. It is already over 3 years old.

Has anyone purchased a system from CyberPower PC? I was thinking of trying them for my next system. The Dell's I have owned have been decent but they are locked down in the BIOS and don't allow you to overclock anything.

I think Bobo bought his from Cyber Power or Ibuypower. One of those big two.

Thread Information