Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Rebuilding System - Looking for input 32bit/64bit - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Rebuilding System - Looking for input 32bit/64bit

Vargus I have seen my first Vista / 7 only game on steam today (Shattered horizon). This situation is going to become the norm get the windows 7 os it is ok really. And why not forget the new rig, update yours with a few items psu, graphics card faster ram etc. Then when your ready get a new case, motherboard,cpu and hey presto you got a new rig running the latest os. Come brother Vargus join the rest of us on the never ending quest for the best gaming rig.

Oberführer, Department of Forum Signatures Sparhawk's Avatar

With regards to power, avoid buying a cheap 500w power supply. Do spend some good money on it as it will deliver better power down the rails, have much better anti-spike protection and will serve your PC much better in the long run.

I would recommend Tagan or Enermax. There are other very good PSU's out there too. I personally run an 800w Tagan.

A.K.A *The*Grim*Peeper* -- You may be a King or even a street sweeper but
    sooner or later, you'll meet the Peeper
    My Smugmug gallery

Druming Along

Cooler Master 1000w and 1100w psu. when I shoot my M60E in COD4 the lights dim in the house. My 1000w has been running for 3 years now. I have a copy of vista64 that came with a 7 upgrade. if it would install I would immediately do the windows 7 too.

Well here is how things ended up:
    In order to install Windows XP x64 I ended up needing to find the Intel Raid Sata drivers to load with the OS setup. Otherwise it would not recognize any hard drive was installed. The device drivers for my Dell didn't have them listed since the model was never available with x64. I did however find a Dell Precision series computer that is nearly identical to mine in hardware and I was able to find most of the drivers there. I didn't bother purchasing a floppy drive with this computer so I had to slipstream my OS install with the updated drivers. Once I got that all figured out I was able to get things up and running. It ran OK but I didn't notice an real difference in performance over the 32bit version. I did however run into issues with Windows DRM. The napster software client wouldn't recognize the DRM was current and kept wanting to reset it everytime the program launched. This was a deal breaker for me. I use that service all the time to listen to music so I ended up having to rebuild. I wasn't able to find a workaround.

Since I was rebuilding I figured might as well try to install Vista and play around with it for a bit to see how it runs. Unfortunately my only connection is a Dell 1450 USB2.0 Wlan and they do not have Windows Vista drivers for that device. In fact they have the opposite. It is one of the few pieces of hardware that Dell must have recieved so many reuqests looking for drivers they actually posted a notice that there never have been, and have no plans to develop drivers for the device on anything past Windows XP. So if I want to update to a more recent OS I will need to update my wlan device as well.

Long story short I have swapped back to plain old Windows XP x32 and things are back to normal. Good grief what a waste of time. It was a learning experience anyway. At least I don't have the grass is greener on the x64 side of the fence complex anymore.

I have just updated a 9150 to windows 7 32bit from XP 32bit and everything went sweet but I did have one problem. The usb wifi dongle that i used (belkin) would lose connection every 5 mins. Yet the same dongle worked on a i7 and AMD athlonx2 running win7 so this makes me think it was the 9150s chipset needing a win7 dedicated driver for it. An internal pci wifi card (TPlink) resolved this issue straight away and had no issues with wlan . The system is running very quick and smooth with no issues. For your reference Vargus this system is running Ati 4670 graphics which work very well allowing full use of areo and the system to run DX11.

I'm going to buy a 500G drive and Windows 7 Professional for my ASUS M50VM-A1 laptop tomorrow and will try and install 64 bit Windows 7 on it. Wish me luck!
    Siggy.

Vargus:

I know what you are referring to in regards to trying to install Windows XP 64 on a system, the same thing happened to me when installing Win XP 64 on my Toshiba laptop computer. I would go all the way through the set up, instruct the thing to go for the install, and POW windows could not detect any drives to install to. About an hour of searching I found the third party SATA driver that the F6 Raid feature in the install needed to see the drives. Once that driver on my external USB 2.0 Diskette drive was found by Windows the rest of the install went flawless.

Also I know you mentioned you were not going to bother with getting a diskette drive, or as you called is a "floppy drive", you might want to re-think that. I know diskette drives are very "old school" and not a lot of systems come with them anymore, but my Windows XP Pro 64 install proved to me that sometimes there are very much needed. Just think about a nice little external diskette drive, a USB 2.0 one works well, they are very cheap, mine cost me about $15.99 at Fry's Electronics. They are good for those "once in a blue moon" situations.

Glad to hear that your back up and running and everything as you said is "back to normal", even if it was sticking with what works. Don't think of this all as a waste of time, just another notch in the ole belt of knowledge.

[
    DP]L.B. Johnson

Thread Information