Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Christmas come early, well sort of... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Oberführer, Department of Forum Signatures Sparhawk's Avatar

Default Re: Christmas come early, well sort of...

Good stuff LBJ.

Glad it's working well for you. Agree about the USB mouse. Those touch pads are horrible. :)

A.K.A *The*Grim*Peeper* -- You may be a King or even a street sweeper but
    sooner or later, you'll meet the Peeper
    My Smugmug gallery

Smile The first of many Sony posts

Well, this is kind of a test, first post on the DP forums by way of my newish Sony laptop. Feels odd and strange trying to type on a 15.1 inch laptop computer. I'm used to my 18.5 inch Toshiba or my desktop's full sized keyboard. The Sony's wireless NIC is out of this world, fast as a bolt of lightning, oddly faster than my Toshiba, weird! Got all my odds & ends loaded onto the computer, everything went well. The only little bugger I had to deal with was the burning software, the NTCI program I had from another burner would not work. I had to install a "no thrills" version of Nero Burning Rom that I had from my very first burner, I had ever bought. Ran a test on the burner, max speed is 32X! This unit likes the added RAM it is using very little of it, even running my Internet web radio program and surfing the net and it's normal operations, little tiny foot print.

For shit's and giggles I put it through it's paces, some normal test I run after upgrading or building computers......plus I'm kind of anal about these things.

Out came my digital stop watch...

Boot up time (start to final finish) = 27 seconds
    Power down time (fully operational to power off) = 15 seconds
    Programs opening up = 2-3 seconds
    Audio play back after inserting a audio CD (Windows Media Player 11) = 10 seconds

Made that run to Best Buy and picked up a nice black travel bag/case for the PC. Also got myself a nice Logitech USB gamers mouse, and of course a nice little travel mouse pad, with a gel pad to rest ones wrist on.

I'm very impressed with this sucker, the display is pretty good, the Radeon cards shared 64mb's of video memory is ok! The Pentium 1.5 gig CPU appears to be handling everything so far. The RAM is almost not an issue only using approx. 15% to 25% of it under normal load is great. The only true gripe I have is the little stereo speakers on the thing, they don't pump a lot of volume through them. Plus they sound very metalish, like listen to things through an aluminum can. Might have to see about upgrading those things in the future of just buying some nice basic desktop speakers and running them through the unit's headphone jack. Well I'm going to back this thing off, and power it off for a while, it's been on since 8:00am this morning without a break.

Very nice, I am surprisingly pleased.....

[
    DP]L.B. Johnson

Default Re: Christmas come early, well sort of...

Quote Originally Posted by L.B.Johnson View Post
    Update:
    Beef: Thanks for the recommendation of running Linux, it sounded interesting but due to the fact that I know nothing about that O.S., I thought it safe to stick with Microsoft. I'm looking forward in seeing this little baby in action.
    That was half my point - you can try it without it altering anything on your laptop, including the hard drive. Once you turn it off, it's as if you never loaded it. It gives you a chance to play with it without a commitment. You can still do it even now that you have Windows installed, and it won't even notice.

Glad you got it all up and running, sounds like a great addition. XP32 is what I would have recommended as well for the permanent install, I only recommended the Live CD of Linux because I didn't know how long it would be till you were able to purchase another copy of XP.

Enjoy your new toy! I think my next laptop will be a little netbook - they're easier to travel with.

Thread Information