Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Diagnose my PC fail help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Diagnose my PC fail help

I think my mobo is fubar in my gaming rig. When I boot it takes 3-4 hours to get through post. Thats not a typo. Every step of the process takes forever. Just recognizing the drives or ram takes at least an hour. Once it boots it takes forever to change pages. Maybe 5 minutes to change from 1 open page to the nextopen page. I think it has to be in the mobo because it's at post. What other resources are used during post? CPU?

Note that everything in my machine is pretty new except the mobo/cpu and gpu. I am planning to upgrade to a 2011 platform as soon as the mid range stuff hits the market and prices start to come down also to upgrade to a new Nvidia gpu as soon as it makes sense. The 680 just dropped so probably another month or two before the time is right and most of their models are out.

Since I am planning to upgrade all these parts I havent been too concerned with it but I don't want to find out something else is causing the problem when I do my new build. Do you guys think I'm right that it is the mobo or maybe processor or could it be something else?

Ram, psu, ssd, hdd were all replaced in the last 6 months and worked fine for 3-4 months before my boot issues.

Default Re: Diagnose my PC fail help

Do you still have your old PSU? Perhaps you could try and throw it in as a test and rule a failing PSU out. That would be my guess. You can also start disconnecting components one at a time such as pull all memory except one stick, optical drive, hard drive, etc.. and try to get it to at least post to BIOS with the bare minimum hardware.

I'd also reset the bios to system defaults.
    Siggy.

I had that issue, and it turned out that my system drive was shitting the bed. Check your Windows event logs to see if there are any events there.

Click on START, and in the run space type eventvwr, and hit enter. Then check system and application. If it is a drive issue, you will see some events in the system log.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

[DP]Andy Cap

Andy is right. It sounds like your HDD and not your mobo. I had a similar issue on a hdd years ago and replacing it solved the issue.

North American Rep Furious_George's Avatar

I agree with Andy and Linc. Ive seen this issue dozens of times at work. A real slow boot up can be a bad HDD, if the BIOS cant successfully initialize a HDD with a OS on it, it will keep trying in most cases until it finds one. You are getting a POST image right? If you have an OEM machine, and your mobo was an ASUS, you should get an ASUS boot logo at start. Unless you disabled that as well.

Try disconnecting your HDD and boot from there. If you get a "No bootable device" error right away, thats your answer. Your HDD is toast.

<a href=http://dpworldgaming.dpguild.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29&d=1177809341 target=_blank>http://dpworldgaming.dpguild.net/for...9&d=1177809341</a>
    All great truths begin as blasphemes
    Sir George Bernard Shaw
    In Vino Veritas
    *wisper*Sword of the Stars

Ok, here's where I'm confused...

Monroe said it takes 3-4 hours to POST (Power On Self Test). This is a function that the motherboard will accomplish even if there is no hard drive installed. If the HDD was bad, it would say 'No boot device' or 'Bad boot device' or something like that. So, here's my question: How can a faulty HDD cause a 3-4 hour POST? I'm asking cause maybe you guys know something I don't or maybe it's just one of those things that computers do that can't be explained...

Anyways, in lieu of an explanation, I'd say that it's the motherboard or processor that are at fault, so, update the BIOS and see what happens...

EDIT: Just re-read what I said and had a thought: disconnect the HDDs and see if it POSTs any faster. If it POSTs fine with the HDDs disconnected, then they're at fault, if the problem persists, then your HDDs are fine and the problem is elsewhere.
    Last edited by rabid_redneck; 04-16-2012 at 06:23 AM.

Vim Vi Repellere Licet

Bad processor would fault out and you'd get error beeps in most cases. Bad memory you'd have less on POST and if it was all bad you'd get beeps. PSU would be the no-power, power to boot but not enough to do anything outside of desktop, or normal power. All other peripherals would not count on delaying the startup.

It's definitely a HDD. Part of the POST is to determine bootable devices and querry them. A bad HDD can return corrupted data and until POST receives good data it sticks there waiting.

Quick checks to do:

Unplug HDD and boot. If POST moves fast then it's your HDD. If it's still molasses then its your mobo.
    Secondary thing would be to replace your HDD cable. Sometimes these go wonky on you for no reason. Now it's just simply replace the cable and check the POST.
    Replace mobo battery. Always a nice option.

Last but not least, unplug everything and plug them in one at a time. However, if you're at this point, you're in a lot of trouble to begin with. I'd honestly stick with the HDD as being the problem. There are POST cards you can put in and get a code on where the BIOS is stopped. They're dirt cheap.

Loved this exchange of information. Learned several things I hope I never have to use but good to know. Thanks guys.

Ripper1302

Thanks guys. I will try out the hdd test tonight and let you know. It's an easy test and won't take long. Since every step of the post process takes forever and its not just hanging at the detecting drives point I assumed it wouldn't be the hdd.

Thread Information