Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Diagnose my PC fail help - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Diagnose my PC fail help

I am intrigued to find out what the issue is. I love when a PC seems to be fubared yet with a few helpful suggestions it rises from grave running like new. I hope that is one of those cases.

Whoever wrote that article should be in charge of explaining everything techical. Nice find thanks.

You are not going to believe wtf happened.

After trying everything I was convinced the mobo was bad. While I am waiting for a new mobo to be released I decided to build my wife a new computer using mostly old parts. She is temporarily using my desk for a home office and her old work computer is struggling but some of my old game rig stuff will work great for a Windows 7 build.

So I order a new mobo and use my old I5-750 cpu from my dead system. Nothing else in this build was in my dead computer this thread is about.

I get it done and put it in the same spot my old system was in. I plug in all the cables from the original build and power it up. To my surprise it has the same super slow post problem. It takes 20 minutes just to get the bios to open and each keystroke 30 seconds to 2 minutes to actually do anything.

Since the cpu was the only thing I didn't replace it has to be a bad CPU. It doesn't make sense to me but wtf it's the ONLY thing left from the old build. So back to Newegg and I pick up a new I3-550. I get home, plug it in and fire it up and WTF??? the motherfucker is still doing it!!!!!!! NOTHING on this system is the same as the other one!

So I pour a few fingers of Glenfiddich into a glass and contemplate as I reboot to see it again. I decide it clearly has to do with something else and while watching it post it finally makes it to recognizing the drives and it says 'external WDC HDD' or something like that and I realize that one of the USB cables in the bundle of cables runs to a 500GB Western Digital backup drive that is behind my monitor and out of sight. I reach around and unplug the power cable to it and the computer instantly finishes post and the bios screen opens.

So the motherfucking problem all this time has been the external hard drive I only use to backup files onto. I don't even know how the fuck that is possible but there it is. Problem solved, thank you all for your help trying to fix this. You were right about a bad hard drive. I'm just an idiot and forgot about the external one when I was testing that.

Now if I could only get Windows 7 to install life would be good! lol

Glad to hear you fixed the boot issue. What is the WIndows 7 install problem? Are you getting errors during install, or perhaps it is not recognizing your hard drive to install Windows to it?

Wink Re: Diagnose my PC fail help

Quote Originally Posted by Vargus View Post
    Glad to hear you fixed the boot issue. What is the WIndows 7 install problem? Are you getting errors during install, or perhaps it is not recognizing your hard drive to install Windows to it?
    It doesn't recognize his 5.25" single sided floppies.
    Siggy.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck View Post
    It doesn't recognize his 5.25" single sided floppies.
    On his old Apple II drives.

The problem was in the bios. I am running ram that requires overclocking to work on this mobo. The bios auto overclock was setting everything wrong. Wrong timings and way over volting it.Once I set it manually it installed windows with no troubles.

Seems like it will be a great work machine

You gotta stop using those old commodore 64 parts...
    The ark was built by a single motivated individual,
    ˙˙˙sןɐnpıʌıpuı pǝuıɐɹʇ ʎןɥƃıɥ ɟo dnoɹƃ ɐ ʎq 'ɔıuɐʇıʇ ǝɥʇ

North American Rep Furious_George's Avatar

Glad you were able to figure it out dude. Damn those defective hard drives

<a href=http://dpworldgaming.dpguild.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29&d=1177809341 target=_blank>http://dpworldgaming.dpguild.net/for...9&d=1177809341</a>
    All great truths begin as blasphemes
    Sir George Bernard Shaw
    In Vino Veritas
    *wisper*Sword of the Stars

Quote Originally Posted by Dagwood View Post
    You gotta stop using those old commodore 64 parts...
    But thats what I have =( lol

Anyone need any DDR2 RAM? I have a ton of it. Also an E6600 CPU and a Pentium 4 I found, lol

Thread Information