Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
New build questions

Default New build questions

So the stuff I am planning to use for my new build is finally hitting the market. I am planning on going with an Asus Maximus V Formula mobo and a 3770K I7 CPU. I am having a tough time figuring out what ram to use. I am thinking 16gb of 1866 http://www.corsair.com/us/memory-by-...m4a1866c9.html

But this is where I get lost. Reading the Corsair forums it sounds like I can run faster ram but will need to OC the cpu to do that? Intel says this about the processor/RAM:

•Theoretical Maximum Memory Bandwidth:

—10.6 GB/s in single-channel mode or 21.3 GB/s in dual-channel mode assuming DDR3 1333 MT/s

—12.8 GB/s in single-channel mode or 25.6 GB/s in dual-channel mode assuming DDR3 1600 MT/s

Does this mean if I run faster RAM I am going to have to OC the proc to get to the 1866 speed or that I should get slower 1600 RAM. I have no problem overclocking and dealing with the thermals but I am pretty clueless about how to tune it all so it works great together. It would be pretty silly to spend all this money and have it run like crap because the pieces don't work well together.

The real big question is, what will I notice while playing Skyrim or WoT. RAM speed OR amount of RAM? Would I notice the difference between 8 or 16GB of 1600 and 8 or 16GB of 1866? Or should I go really fast RAM like 2400 or 2666?

If it matters I am going to also run a GTX680 single card and can't wait to have a real game rig again!

Default Re: New build questions

I have 14 GB of tri-channel 1600MHz in my rig now and the gaming didn't improve a whole lot. I have read the two biggest upgrades to increase gaming performance is video card ( of course) and running your OS and games on a SSD.
    "War...war never changes."

Monroe, no offense, but at our age, we won't see the difference because we are too slow.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

[DP]Andy Cap

In that rig, with an Ivy Bridge processor and a GTX680, the RAM won't make a big difference on performance, even on Skyrim. You definitely won't see any differences in WoT.

And $180 is way too much to pay for no noticeable improvements. A quick search on newegg found this 4x4gb Corsair memory kit for $100. Of course you'll want to check the QVL before you buy any RAM...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820233143

As a comparison, I have an old i7-920 with a GTX570 and 6GB of DDR3 RAM, and with Skyrim, my graphics were set to medium-high.
    Last edited by rabid_redneck; 07-10-2012 at 03:40 AM.

Vim Vi Repellere Licet

lol cappeh.

Rabid, what is QVL?

Qualified Vendor List. It's a list made by motherboard manufacturers of all the RAM that they tested in their motherboard.

Here's a link to Asus' product page for that motherboard:

http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/Int...V_Formula/#MSL

Just click memory support list and then download the .pdf file.

You're not required to buy off this listing to get the build to work, but it's recommended.
    Last edited by rabid_redneck; 07-10-2012 at 03:57 PM.

Vim Vi Repellere Licet

That is a very short list. Thanks for the info. So it looks like 16GB of 1866 or 1600 will be the same from a gaming standpoint?

Yeah. You could probably even go slower and not notice a difference, but I wouldn't go slower than 1333. That's up to whether you're trying to cut a little cost, or keep it fast to future proof it a little.

Vim Vi Repellere Licet

Thread Information