Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Crashed Harddrive
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Crashed Harddrive

Hey guys, just had my computer start hardlocking my machine yesturday. Did the bootup diagnostics test and it gave me 3 different errors each time I did a retest. BIOHD-1 2 and 3. one was a failing/failed hard drive, another was to check the cables that go to the hard drive, and the last was a fail to locate the boot drive. The boot drive test stopped showing up after the second test, and when I rebooted it locked at the blue HP/Windows screen when the machne first starts. I've yet to open up the case and mess with the cables to see if their connected. Don't suppose a lightning surge can make the hard drive cables eject can they? Though this all started right after I got power back from the recent lightning storm that came through my area.

I get the feeling I'm in for a stressful situation if I need a new hard drive, espcially since this thing lost warranty 2 years ago. I may have a spare hard drive from the older machine that died on me awhile back, but I couldn't diagnose the problem to it since it wouldn't even turn on. Not even sure if I could get it to work with the newer machine, not sure if a current recovery disc for the newer machine would work with the old hard drive, not the same size and all. Guess I could always take the box down to my local staples and have them dig a huge hole into my wallet by telling they can fix it for a deeper hole in my wallet.

I'm with the BombSquad, if you see me running, run the other way!

Default Re: Crashed Harddrive

Ugh. Sounds like open wallet surgery.
    Siggy.

Yeah, that sounds like a lot of suck right there.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

[DP]Andy Cap

See your PM box Bravo

North American Rep Furious_George's Avatar

Thats a defective HDD. Seen it tons through my years doing retail tech support. Lucky for you HDDs are cheap and easy to replace, regardless if its a laptop or a desktop. If it really is that far out of warranty and you have the cash, I would just drop it on a new rig if your machine is fairly out of date. Like +3 years.

If you have some beefy parts in there, buy a new HDD. And I hope you kept/made your DVD recovery discs, otherwise thats an added cost as well.

Feel free to PM me and I can give you my phone number if you want to talk about it over the phone. Or maybe even this skype thing :)

<a href=http://dpworldgaming.dpguild.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29&d=1177809341 target=_blank>http://dpworldgaming.dpguild.net/for...9&d=1177809341</a>
    All great truths begin as blasphemes
    Sir George Bernard Shaw
    In Vino Veritas
    *wisper*Sword of the Stars

I have the recovery discs that I had to purchase from HP from that boot drive killing virus I had about a year ago, hopefully that will work. Though I kinda figure that to be for the specified hard drive, or not? Was a 1TB western digital 10EADS caviar green hard drive, 3.5". Guess I should purchase extra hard drive cables while I'm at it?

Would buying an external drive be a cheaper/faster solution?

Different drive will be fine. You should also get a new SATA cable in the box if you buy a retail HDD. If you buy OEM you wouldnt. It never hurts to replace older cables and SATA cables are only a couple dollars. Not sure why you would want to buy an extra drive unless its for backup purposes. Anyways, you know where to find me if you need anything :)

<a href=http://dpworldgaming.dpguild.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29&d=1177809341 target=_blank>http://dpworldgaming.dpguild.net/for...9&d=1177809341</a>
    Sir George Bernard Shaw
    In Vino Veritas

Oh, should remind you that while lengthy, after you've reinstalled the harddrive, OS, etc IMMEDIATELY make a backup. Then make a windows save point. Then if the save point doesn't take you all the way back, your backup will.

What Lincoln said

Sir George Bernard Shaw
    In Vino Veritas

Was thinking of buying the external since it was cheaper, was thinking I could use it as a cheaper hard drive without getting an internal.

Thread Information