Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Crashed Harddrive - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Crashed Harddrive

always something like this too...
    http://reviews.bestbuy.com/3545/8990...ws/reviews.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln View Post
    I have a couple of those (err, very similar) around and they're fsck'ing awesome. They take both 3.5" and 2.5" drives, which can pop out of the docking station like pieces of toast.
    Last edited by Johnny Canuck; 01-03-2013 at 10:29 PM.
    Siggy.

Even though the hard drive has crashed/failed. Is it still possible for me to get data from it if I tick the jumpers to slave while buying a new HDD to bootup from? I know I will possibly need a second power and sata cable for this, but I wonder if this is possible.

I'm with the BombSquad, if you see me running, run the other way!

Quote Originally Posted by 18bravo View Post
    Even though the hard drive has crashed/failed. Is it still possible for me to get data from it if I tick the jumpers to slave while buying a new HDD to bootup from? I know I will possibly need a second power and sata cable for this, but I wonder if this is possible.
    Hard to say, although certainly worth a shot.

In my wife's case, we had to send it to a recovery company. $1,200 later they gave her another drive with 'most' of her data.
    Siggy.

Bravo,

Send me your phone number in a private message. I have an idea that might help you but need to talk to you.
    Ripper 1302

I put a hdd that I couldn't boot into an external hdd case and plugged it into a working computer via usb. I could see all my files and transferred them off that hdd.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck View Post
    I have a couple of those (err, very similar) around and they're fsck'ing awesome. They take both 3.5" and 2.5" drives, which can pop out of the docking station like pieces of toast.
    It's truly the best way to plug drives into a system. Great for storage of financials, etc on separate drives.

Two things here:

First, you need a good UPS with surge protecttion. Don't go cheap as you're facing not only power surges and loss, but other oddities in power. Next you need to get a PSU tester and ensure you're still getting proper power, especially on your main rails.

Second, how much do you truly need to save from the drive? What I suggest is to find a local forensics shop who can image the drive forensically. Once that happens, they can load the image and copy off the directories you need. After that it is just simply building a new drive and copy your directories back over.

Full drive recovery isn't necessary and is the 1200-3000 bux ordeal mentioned above. So if you can pick up a list of what you specifically need (everything in your documents folder, etc). If you are lucky and can still spin up the drive, you have two routes to take on your own.

First is to build a new HDD and install as normal. You then add on the old drive and hope for the best in copying data over. Second is similar in nature, except boot into a Linux boot and copy the files that way. Sometimes Windows will interfere with itself with confusing permissions and not allow a copy or file access. Linux should see the drive as data and then you just simply copy what you need off the old drive.

All depends on how much work you want to put into this to be honest.

Oberführer, Department of Forum Signatures Sparhawk's Avatar

Linux Boot as per Linc's suggestion:

http://knoppix.net/

You need to assess how important the data on the drive is. Are we talking sentimental photo's, important financial data, personal data that you really really need your hands on or are we talking a few loans from the great library on the internet?

If there's nothing of any significant importance of value on it, take it out and get a sledge hammer on it. It'll mangle up the platters a fair bit and you'll feel happier afterwards.

Then go out and buy a couple of 2TB drives. They're dirt cheap. One for in the machine and one for out of the machine (with one of those docks that was mentioned above).

A whole boat load of good valid advice above but unless it's extremely valuable data... don't stress yourself out too much.

A.K.A *The*Grim*Peeper* -- You may be a King or even a street sweeper but
    sooner or later, you'll meet the Peeper
    My Smugmug gallery

I don't guess there was anything of true importance on it, the only things I was going to copy over were a couple of videos of DP past. Though as I think about it, one was on youtube. The Bad Company vehicle launches that Sparhawk recorded. Still gets me laughing that I got blasted to the far side of a mountain that was off in the distance of Atacama desert I think. Think I had a couple of Fraps videos from the UO days on there as well.

I'm with the BombSquad, if you see me running, run the other way!

Thread Information