Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Crashed Harddrive - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    North American Rep Furious_George's Avatar

Default Re: Crashed Harddrive

Problem an "olde" wives tale, but I heard somewhere that if you freeze HDD you can get it running sometimes. Wouldnt put any worth into it though

<a href=http://dpworldgaming.dpguild.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29&d=1177809341 target=_blank>http://dpworldgaming.dpguild.net/for...9&d=1177809341</a>
    All great truths begin as blasphemes
    Sir George Bernard Shaw
    In Vino Veritas
    *wisper*Sword of the Stars

Oberführer, Department of Forum Signatures Sparhawk's Avatar

The BF launch video is safe Bravo :)

A.K.A *The*Grim*Peeper* -- You may be a King or even a street sweeper but
    sooner or later, you'll meet the Peeper
    My Smugmug gallery

Well, finally got the cash to get the hard drive replaced, but won't get the system back until Monday because the hard drive I ordered wasn't in stock at the store, even though the website said it was. Also got me a 450w power supply so hopefully I can put one of these videocards in and possibly catch up with some of the cooler looking games everyone plays now. Now I just got to hope my recovery discs will work on the hard drive, providing it has a system recovery on it. Else I guess I'm going to be SOL.

I'm with the BombSquad, if you see me running, run the other way!

Quote Originally Posted by Furious_George View Post
    Problem an "olde" wives tale, but I heard somewhere that if you freeze HDD you can get it running sometimes. Wouldnt put any worth into it though

I used that trick many times before years ago and the success rate was 50/50. It's a last ditch effort and often I still had to boot with knoppix and I would have literally minutes to get the important data
    "War...war never changes."

Most of the time people freeze it too long. They actually go for frozen. Obviously this is a huge mistake. Forensics will tell you to place it no more than 30 minutes into a freezer AFTER you've placed it in a sealed ziplock bag. 15 minutes is generally the key though as a chilled drive which continues to fail is still no good.

Too bad its expensive that you can't quite repair the hard drive yourself, providing the disc itself isn't damaged

Just got the tower back from the shop, now I just hope I can install the OS from the recovery discs. If that doesn't work, I'm going to be asking my father for an early Christmas gift so that I can buy an install disc of windows7 hope premium 64bit, which what came on the system.

EDIT: I've got it installing after the second attempt, had to put the recovery disc in the cd/dvdrom drive and have it start up from it. so hopefully I will have everything going by tomorrow, hopefully I don't fall asleep during the install process since it takes 2/3 hours as shown in the manual. since I've had the lack of gaming system, sleeping hours sorta fixed themselves.
    Last edited by 18bravo; 03-26-2013 at 11:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 18bravo View Post
    since I've had the lack of gaming system, sleeping hours sorta fixed themselves.
    What he meant to say was "Since I haven't had a computer to play games on, I have actually gotten some sleep"!

Ripper1302

Bravo,

Don't forget to turn on Windows auto update after you get the new Windows install done. You want all the latest security updates before you go back onto the internet. I may take you several reboots to get them all since not all updates can be installed at the same time.

Ripper1302

Got it up and running, put the firewall up and installed MSE, rebooted like it told me. Restarted and it gets to windows, 1 second later it has a critical system fault and blue screens, doesn't even give me enough time to read all of the message, and reboots on its own. I go to safe mode and it gives me the "windows has recovered from a critical error and blah, would you like to check for a solution online?" I go to check to see what it was in the details, and it blackens it out and hard locks. I then power it off and back on. It then forgets the hard drive and asks me for a boot disk or to restart it and select a boot device from the boot menu. I do so and look in the boot menu and all thats there to select from is the dvdrom drive.

So I'm going back to Staples and talking with the tech guys who put this computer back together. I can understand if I bought a faulty hard drive, but they should replace it free of charge, except maybe shipping. This is not one happy customer, especially after sitting through 5 hours of a install of windows 7 all for it to forget itself in an instant.

Thread Information