Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Crashed Harddrive - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: Crashed Harddrive

Quote Originally Posted by Furious_George View Post
    Problem an "olde" wives tale, but I heard somewhere that if you freeze HDD you can get it running sometimes. Wouldn't put any worth into it though
    This truly works. Sometimes, it tightens up the worn parts enough to allow for recovery of some data. Keep in mind that if you are going to subject your drive to a dry cold environment, you want to put it is a static bag first. Don't freeze it, just chill it. Then when you take it out and use it, it doesn't hurt to keep an ice pack under it while you try to recover data. It does work in cases of worn drives. Your issue may be something else. I know Seagate had an issue with the amount of grease they put on the drives. The drives wouldn't spin up after shutting down sometimes because the grease had spun out to the edges, and locked the disks. There are tons of other issues out there that can cause failures. Best of luck.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

[DP]Andy Cap

Sounds like a mobo error tbh. New drive, OS, and getting similar problems I'd start by powering off the system, unplug it, remove battery from mobo and follow the bios reset guide for your mobo. After that put in a new battery and when you boot, boot into BIOS and ensure the settings are correct. If after all this is done you still get an error, unplug everything but internet/mouse/keyboard/monitor. If under minimum conditions this error keeps happening, you're boned.

Yeah, it is possible your bios ia trying to boot in some kind of RAID mode. I have had that issue before. Check the bios to see how it is seeing the drive.

[DP]Andy Cap

Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln View Post
    Sounds like a mobo error tbh. New drive, OS, and getting similar problems I'd start by powering off the system, unplug it, remove battery from mobo and follow the bios reset guide for your mobo. After that put in a new battery and when you boot, boot into BIOS and ensure the settings are correct. If after all this is done you still get an error, unplug everything but internet/mouse/keyboard/monitor. If under minimum conditions this error keeps happening, you're boned.
    Guess I'm going to staples with the tower regardless, no confidence in myself in messing with the motherboard, guess I'm dropping another $100 on them just to get it working right, if I don't go postal before then.

I'm with the BombSquad, if you see me running, run the other way!

Just find a 12 year old to do the work. :)

It's easier to do than you think.

Quote Originally Posted by 18bravo View Post
    Guess I'm going to staples with the tower regardless,..., if I don't go postal before then.
    I didn't know they worked on motherboards at the post office.

[DP]Andy Cap

Well, turns out to be the SATA controller, they tried to boot it up with a new cable and it got to windows, but it kept hard locking. They then decided to see if it could be one of the ram sticks, same thing. they tried the battery and reset the bios, ditto. So I'm waiting until April the 7th, and picking up a whole new computer, though I'll still have to mess around on winblows 8.

On the upside, they did say they'll give me my money back on returning the PSU and new hard drive and I get to keep the old stuff for spare parts. Guess I could slave my old hard drive on it and still have all the stuff on it, I hope.

Unless the planets in some system have aligned against me, I'm getting my new computer tomorrow, or Thursday via FedEx.

Thread Information