Warning: Function create_function() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 23

Warning: Function create_function() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 23

Opinion on OS

Thread: Opinion on OS

Default Opinion on OS

So tonight I decided the time had come for the final tweak to my gaming rig. Went and got an Intel SSD 520 (Got is at cost plus 6% due to my corporate discount). I need to re-install my OS and I am currently struggling between Windows 7 or Windows 8 for it. I have Windows 8 on my Iconia W500 tablet and I love it but I think its the touch ability that makes me love it.

I guess I need to know if anyone is running Windows 8 on their gaming rigs and if they saw a marked improvement of any sort. What are people's experience with the intel SSD?

My plan is to put just my OS and my games on the SSD as I only got a 120GB SSD. I understand the load time in most games is greatly improved.

Any feedback would be appreciated

Default Re: Opinion on OS

I wish they made ssd's bigger.(and cheaper) 120gb wouldnt even come near holding the games i play. wow alone is near 50 gig nowadays.

Cant speak on 8 but i know others here will!

TigerDirect has a 240GB SSD for $169. Made by SanDisk.

Kennedy I believe you are right on the mark. I haven't noticed any performance increase with Windows 8 on my rig. I have been running it for a couple of months now. It's not bad as on OS but it is definitely geared more towards touch screen capabilities and cloud services. If you don't have an Xbox that you want to sync up with your PC, don't use the Microsoft cloud services, and don't plan on using a touch screen or touch mousepad than I would skip Windows 8 and just go with 7.

Windows 8 just doesn't offer much to the current PC experience. I haven't found a single Windows 8 app that I can't do without. The OS was designed with what Microsoft envisions computer use becoming rather than today's average PC use. Plus it is a bit more of a disk hog than Windows 7 so it takes up more of the precious SSD space.

As for installing the games on the SSD. I would also skip that as well for most games. If it is an offline single player you can see an increase in load times, but for online based games I haven't seen a noticeable difference. The SSD just gives faster load speeds and scene transitions, but it doesn't improve FPS noticeably.

Thread Information