Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Help! Need pc build
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Help! Need pc build

Need some advice.

I'm finally upgrading computer in the next few months. I would love it someone near dfw would be willing to help me build it as I've not done it for about 4+ years

Here's my current, no laughing! I've just nit upgraded as I've not been gaming lately and I've been using my ipad and android so much that I rarely get the desktop even booted, in fact until today the computer hasn't been booted up in a year.

Cooler master stacker 830 full tower
    Intel core 2 duo 3.4 ghz
    Asus p5pdeluxe
    Bfg nvidia gtx 260 oc
    4 gb pc3200

So, my first question is this. Give me suggestions for a new build. Would you use the same case I have now or start from scratch? I love my case but it doesn't have some options found in current cases and I may just let my stepdaughter use this machine for her mine craft, wizard 101, etc.

I will be pure gaming on this machine. Not much of anything else as I have tablets galore for that, in fact I won a ipad 16 gb with retina recently and I already have one so will probably sell. If anyone is interested, let me know.

Ok I know I want:

I5-3570k CPU
    Cooler master hyper 212 evo
    OCZ 128 gb ssd vertex 4
    Corsair hx650 bronze modular*. Open for suggestions
    Probably corsair vengeance low profile 16 gb (2x8) *up for suggestions
    Thinking about this video card: MSI gtx 660ti power edition
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...D=3938566&SID=

What I'd like is suggestions on anything but particularly mobo, OS, ram, video card, storage drive, case

I've been reading about the z77 boards and just am not sure what I want.

I will be using wireless connection mostly, playing wow, maybe some fps games and who knows what else.

Budget is probably less than $1500 but would prefer $1000-1200

Struggling on which OS as well....

Also, I won't be storing music or videos etc....gaming will be 95% use

Thanks!!!!!
    Last edited by Kirium; 01-23-2013 at 02:26 PM.

SEPIUS EXERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATER INFINITAS "Often Tested, Always Faithful, Brothers Forever"

Default Re: Help! Need pc build

My calculator is laughing at your system. :)

Even funnier is that system was close to $1800 at the time......lol

SEPIUS EXERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATER INFINITAS "Often Tested, Always Faithful, Brothers Forever"

Wow, in a guild of opinions no one has some suggestions?? Help me out here guys, I know many of you have experience in this and I respect your opinions.

Maybe nobody's saying anything because you're already on the right track.

As far as motherboards go, I'd probably go with this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131820

Personally, I'm not a fan of SSDs yet. I like the fast read/write times, but the price/GB just isn't there yet. I know you said you don't really need the storage space, but check out the high capacity Seagate Barracudas. They're high storage capacity AND high speed. Not as fast as an SSD, but one of the fastest mechanical drives available at a reasonable price.

I'd go with EVGA for a video card instead of MSI, but that's just another personal preference.

Vim Vi Repellere Licet

Quote Originally Posted by rabid_redneck View Post
    Maybe nobody's saying anything because you're already on the right track.

As far as motherboards go, I'd probably go with this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131820

Personally, I'm not a fan of SSDs yet. I like the fast read/write times, but the price/GB just isn't there yet. I know you said you don't really need the storage space, but check out the high capacity Seagate Barracudas. They're high storage capacity AND high speed. Not as fast as an SSD, but one of the fastest mechanical drives available at a reasonable price.

I'd go with EVGA for a video card instead of MSI, but that's just another personal preference.

Great thanks! It's the mobo thats been giving me fits. I was leaning towards a barracuda 1.5 TB as storage,so good to hear your recommendation.

Why do you like he evga better?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirium View Post
    Why do you like he evga better?
    Just more experience with their products. I've owned four EVGA graphics cards, including the GTX 570 that's in my desktop and the GeForce 210 in my HTPC, over the past 7 years and haven't had any problems with any of them.

I also own an EVGA motherboard in my current build and had to RMA it twice (short in PSU fried two of them before I isolated the problem), and didn't have any problems with their customer service.
    Last edited by rabid_redneck; 01-24-2013 at 06:48 PM.

Vim Vi Repellere Licet

Thanks

Ive owned 2 msi VC's so i can stand behind their product but have no idea about how their cust support might be.

As far as motherboards go, me and the son like ASUS.(he loves them, but since this was my first real build i just dont have any other mobos to go with lol) As for the amt of RMA's they have(because i know someone might bring up they have more RMA's than other companies) my son explains it like this, when you sell more boards than most other companies, OF COURSE YOUR GONNA HAVE MORE RMA'S!!

then he slapped me on the back of the head LOL

I always go with the Asus Mb's and have had great results and reliability.
    VC's are always what they are. Just get the best one you can afford and be happy.

Have fun tying all the wires and bundles. You can do it....
    The ark was built by a single motivated individual,
    ˙˙˙sןɐnpıʌıpuı pǝuıɐɹʇ ʎןɥƃıɥ ɟo dnoɹƃ ɐ ʎq 'ɔıuɐʇıʇ ǝɥʇ

Thread Information