Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Grrr, quandries around Monitors.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Oberführer, Department of Forum Signatures Sparhawk's Avatar

Default Grrr, quandries around Monitors.

Ok, my Samsung 226BW is on its way out. When powered on, it flickers for about 25 seconds before stabilising. It's fine once stabilised.

I've been considering a new screen for quite some time now anyway but really looking for an IPS / PLS panel which is geared much more towards photography. After much research, I've finally decided on a Samsung S27B970D which is a Quad HD 27" PLS panel. The screen itself is absolutely mind blowing according to almost every review out there. Colours are vivid, sharp and just stunning. Whites are white (which is VERY important for me). The screen has a 5ms response rate which ultimately is fine for games. My 226Bw is 2ms but that's 5ms Overdriven.

The one minor issue I have is that input lag is 20ms and as such, I belive can be seen as some very minor ghosting / blurring during fast action gaming. The reviews out there say to the very trained and very particular eye, it would be an issue but for most people it should be negligable. I'm only doing FPS around 1 or 2 hours maximum a night now anyway so hopefully it wouldn't be so much of a major issue.

Does anybody have any thoughts on the input lag? Problem is, I can get a TN panel which would be a lot cheaper and give me absolutley abng on gaming experiences but just don't cut it when editing photographs (lack of uniformity) so I think this one is the way to go (you can't really get a perfect for all screen)

Here's a link (to New Egg as pretty much all of you as US/Can based) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824001565

It's not a cheap screen by any margins but from a photography PoV, it's fine.

Mind you, I've googled the flickering on my 226BW and the fix is a very simple replacement of 3 capacitors which won't be an issue. I could easily run that alongside the new screen if gaming proves difficult on the PLS panel.

Just wondering mostly on peoples thoughts on the input lag.

A.K.A *The*Grim*Peeper* -- You may be a King or even a street sweeper but
    sooner or later, you'll meet the Peeper
    My Smugmug gallery

Default Re: Grrr, quandries around Monitors.

Admittedly this review is rather promising.

GameGuru
    Pros: Holi Jezuz mother of f_kk, Hands down!! This is the best LED monitor for a Gamer on the Universe No arguments period, a must have item if you build Pcs. It Truly delivers 1 Billion eye popping brilliant colors. Blacks are Blacks and no Lag or Ghosting on games. Gosh, I love the Crystal Clear Glass panel. It is very eye catching and looks sharp. With Samsung's PLS technology it beats any of Apple's Cinema Display in a heart beat as well as Apple's Retina technology. With a monter Graphics Card, the Series 9 is able to display HD movies, games, photo & video editing in a crisp clear view.. wow.. I love this monitor more than my wife.. jk...
    Cons: Ouch!!! This monitor will leave ya broke and let me tell you, it is very and I mean very expensive. Many peeps will complain about the glare of the monitor since it has a Crystal Clear Glass panel, but I love it and don't mind the glare. I actually think that all LCD monitors should have a Glass Panel to protect the film. The monitor may be a little flimsy, but only if you are poking it. The tilt and pivot is limited and the built in speakers may in fact be uselss.
    Other Thoughts: Word of advice, when you first install and configure your monitor, just connect it to your PC and DO NOTHING. Yes, DO NOTHING meaning do not mess with settings, colors, or software. This monitor comes pre-calibrated from Samsung Labs. It will learn the media you throw at it and give you the best view in colors. Last, I recomend connecting the Samsung Series 9 to a Power line conditioner/surge protector. Trust me the power line conditoner effectively eliminates electronic interference, giving you clear, pristine picture, and will also protect it against power surges. Overall, this is the best LED Monitor money can buy.

My Smugmug gallery

For me the only thing i hate about samsung's monitors and Tv's are the price. Otherwise, from what i see when installing uverse, Samsung's tvs and monitors are amazing looking.

Unsure about the input lag stuff, i propbably wouldnt notice it personally. But its something i always worry about as well.

Input lag? That explains a lot....

Looks like a badass monitor to me Spar.

cough cough

Anything worth over 1G better have some fringe benefits.

nudge nudge
    wink wink
    The ark was built by a single motivated individual,
    ˙˙˙sןɐnpıʌıpuı pǝuıɐɹʇ ʎןɥƃıɥ ɟo dnoɹƃ ɐ ʎq 'ɔıuɐʇıʇ ǝɥʇ

Quote Originally Posted by [DP]Monroe View Post
    Input lag? That explains a lot....

Looks like a badass monitor to me Spar.

hehe, A little vague Monroe I know :). It's to do with the delay from the video card to the monitor receiving the signal and then displaying it on the screen.

...but yeah, it really does look fkin badass for sure.

Video review here:

Dag, I want a free Korean girl with it. Not like that crazy NK news reader, a nice hot slim chick.

This one will do.

DP Guild Member

Buy one of those 24" 144mhz screens for gaming. Though I'm not sure why, you never do anything fast online

LOL No good for photography Josey :)

My Smugmug gallery

DP Guild Member

its 270 bucks here, and its a secondary monitor... Get em both. The misses won't even know you have it

I like the way Josey thinks LOL

Thread Information