Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

DVD ripper

Thread: DVD ripper

Default DVD ripper

So I am uploading all of my CD's to iTunes in an attempt to go digital. I was thinking that would be cool to do with DVD's also but I am having a tough time figuring out the best way to do this. I have a few hundred DVD's that I have acquired over the years. HDD space is easy but software is my issue. I need to figure out what software to use to copy it to a HDD and some way to get past the security stuff. Google has come up with so many different things I don't know who to trust.

Any thoughts?

Default Re: DVD ripper

I use ImgBurn to copy ISO files to Disc. I imagine it can be used the other way around too. Then probably use Winzip to open them up.
    The ark was built by a single motivated individual,
    ˙˙˙sןɐnpıʌıpuı pǝuıɐɹʇ ʎןɥƃıɥ ɟo dnoɹƃ ɐ ʎq 'ɔıuɐʇıʇ ǝɥʇ

Oberführer, Department of Forum Signatures Sparhawk's Avatar

This is what I have used in the past and still do occasionally.

http://www.dvdshrink.org/

It can be used to reduce the file sizes or you can simply just backup the disc.

Also, you could get something like Handbrake. This can be used to convert the video files into one single MKV container but requires significant knowledge of transcoding. Something I don't have but there are lots and lots of helpful posts on the forums.

http://handbrake.fr/

both of these are Free programs

A.K.A *The*Grim*Peeper* -- You may be a King or even a street sweeper but
    sooner or later, you'll meet the Peeper
    My Smugmug gallery

Handbrake for Mac - great. Handbrake for PC - Sux ass. When I had a Macbook Pro and used Handbrake it copied everything without issue. Use it on PC and you need to get a program to create an image to remove the security before Handbrake seems to do anything. Tried my oldest to newest DVDs, just quits every time.

I use WinX DVD Ripper. No issues to date. I can pick from dozens of options for size, type, etc. I also have the WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe. Worth a look.

Good luck on your choice.

Oberführer, Department of Forum Signatures Sparhawk's Avatar

Really, those problems with Handbrake for PC? That isn't great.

Mind you I don't use Handbrake for ripping the DVD's, just for compressing file sizes, not for my storage, just for putting a reasonable number of movies on my Nexus 10 if I'm away from home for any reason. I rarely actually use HB but it's always been superb at downsizing a 20Gb movie file down to around 2.5Gb with barely any kind of visual/audio loss.

Monroe, definitely worth looking into the WinX DVD ripper as Linc suggests anyway. Try that and DVD Shrink.

A.K.A *The*Grim*Peeper* -- You may be a King or even a street sweeper but
    sooner or later, you'll meet the Peeper
    My Smugmug gallery

I tried Handbrake and it doesn't work unless I crack the security bullshit first using some other program. Not very noob friendly.

WinX seems to be the one to go with but you need the Platinum $40 one to crack. The freeware version works great on dvd's that aren't locked.

Thanks gang. As always, you guys save the day =)

Thread Information