Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Potential new Build, thoughts?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Devil Dog Kirium's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-28-2007
    Location
    Frisco, TX
    Posts
    1,328

    Default Potential new Build, thoughts?

    Ok, so once again I am contemplating a new rig. Mine is ancient , circa august 2006, the only changes being a new video card in 2011.

    Considering these two builds I've put together:

    http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Bdrexel/saved/kW38TW

    or

    http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Bdrexel/saved/s4dgXL

    Ignore the monitors listed as I'm toying with ideas and seeing what CES brings out. I'd like to find a 21:9 IPS with G-Sync and I was hoping someone would bring one out. But we'll see.

    Thoughts, critiques, ideas?

    SEPIUS EXERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATER INFINITAS "Often Tested, Always Faithful, Brothers Forever"

  2. #2
    DP Guild Member Blatherbeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    06-17-2008
    Location
    Bastrop, Tx
    Posts
    3,241

    Default Re: Potential new Build, thoughts?

    Im not super up on most parts of today but if it were me and could afford it, id at least go with a 500gb hdd for the c drive. ive got a 250 now and its good but its slowly filling up with updates and things ive been told to leave on c drive. granted i still have 26g left but i like to be safe.

    have heard good things about those video cards though.

  3. #3
    Devil Dog Kirium's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-28-2007
    Location
    Frisco, TX
    Posts
    1,328

    Default Re: Potential new Build, thoughts?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blatherbeard View Post
    Im not super up on most parts of today but if it were me and could afford it, id at least go with a 500gb hdd for the c drive. ive got a 250 now and its good but its slowly filling up with updates and things ive been told to leave on c drive. granted i still have 26g left but i like to be safe.

    have heard good things about those video cards though.
    That's a good point, I was thinking about that last night too. I think I'll do that.

    One thing I can't decide as well is to go with the new Haswell-E with the 6 cores (8 is too expensive) or to stay with the Devil's Canyon that just got refreshed. I like the new processor uses the new chipset and DDR-4 so at least I know it will last for quite some time.

    The problem is many of the boards are E-ATX and frankly I really like the NZXT H440 case and I can't use that with an E-ATX.

    Another thing I'm going back and forth on is to get for GPU:

    A single GTX 970
    2 GTX 970s in SLI
    or
    A Single GTX 980

    I've seen arguments for and against all options.

    SEPIUS EXERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATER INFINITAS "Often Tested, Always Faithful, Brothers Forever"

  4. #4
    Devil Dog Kirium's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-28-2007
    Location
    Frisco, TX
    Posts
    1,328

    Default Re: Potential new Build, thoughts?

    Changed it up again, leaning towards this with two EVGA 970 FTW in SLI

    http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Bdrexel/saved/p4sscf

    the only thing I'm not 100% sure on is the Mobo. Reviews on this one seem good though. Just want an ATX form factor or else I'd go with the Rampage.

    SEPIUS EXERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATER INFINITAS "Often Tested, Always Faithful, Brothers Forever"

  5. #5
    DP Guild Member Blatherbeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    06-17-2008
    Location
    Bastrop, Tx
    Posts
    3,241

    Default Re: Potential new Build, thoughts?

    ive got an asus formula V and my son swears by asus so id go wtih it.

    i have an 8 core amd chipset so i cant comment on the Intel chips as i have no knowledge of them and i get my amd parts from the son. But i do know that now that amd has taken over ati, its a much better product with much better drivers than they used to be.

    and ive had zero problems with all my amd stuff.

    but ive also used intel and nvidia in the past, just theyve always been overpriced per performance vs amd(and now i get it almost free so theres that)

  6. #6
    Devil Dog Kirium's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-28-2007
    Location
    Frisco, TX
    Posts
    1,328

    Default Re: Potential new Build, thoughts?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blatherbeard View Post
    ive got an asus formula V and my son swears by asus so id go wtih it.

    i have an 8 core amd chipset so i cant comment on the Intel chips as i have no knowledge of them and i get my amd parts from the son. But i do know that now that amd has taken over ati, its a much better product with much better drivers than they used to be.

    and ive had zero problems with all my amd stuff.

    but ive also used intel and nvidia in the past, just theyve always been overpriced per performance vs amd(and now i get it almost free so theres that)
    I considered the R 290x in Crossfire but the 970 GTX uses less power and outperforms it , I used to always be ATI until my last video card and now it looks like at my buying time it's Nvidia again.

    I've not had an AMD since the Duron/Athlon days :)

    SEPIUS EXERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATER INFINITAS "Often Tested, Always Faithful, Brothers Forever"

  7. #7
    Sergeant at Arms Andy Cap's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-19-2002
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    6,933

    Default Re: Potential new Build, thoughts?

    When going with 2 gfx cards, be sure you have plenty of cooling. I mean a lot! I went with dual gfx cards and was constantly frying one. They throw a ton of heat.
    ------------------------------------------------------------


    [DP]Andy Cap

  8. #8
    Devil Dog Kirium's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-28-2007
    Location
    Frisco, TX
    Posts
    1,328

    Default Re: Potential new Build, thoughts?

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Cap View Post
    When going with 2 gfx cards, be sure you have plenty of cooling. I mean a lot! I went with dual gfx cards and was constantly frying one. They throw a ton of heat.
    That's one of the things I like so much with the new architecture of the Maxwell card. The power use and heat is much much lower.

    SEPIUS EXERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATER INFINITAS "Often Tested, Always Faithful, Brothers Forever"

  9. #9
    Resident a-hole Defender2803's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-28-2007
    Location
    McKinney, TX
    Posts
    438

    Default Re: Potential new Build, thoughts?

    Are you planning on overclocking? The K processors are for overclocking. I haven't had a need for one in some time as I got out of that phase a while back. :) The 4790 is a faster clock speed but less cores. Save dough and wattage.

    Also...

    Where are you going to mount your CPU cooler? The wattage of your cards and CPU are more than my old i7-920 and 5970 card. Air flow is going to be the question. Radiators restrict airflow as much as they cool. I am more of an air cooling guy but my H50 cooled the 920 with ease...even when over clocked. While everything else was Arctic cooling or Noctua. However...with mine I added a fan to the H50 for push pull config and turned them around (original instructions was to push air out). The case pulled air in from everywhere...including radiator at the back... and blew it out the top. A larger radiator would have moved where my air came in and where it went out. The 5970 was 300W and made the surface of the sun look tame. I replaced stock cooler for it...but added fans to pull air away from it.

    From what I see you will mount the radiator in the front and pull air in through it...fans on top to drag out all the heat. A single sized radiator and a 4790 CPU will do the same thing but you have options for mounting. Also length and plumbing of your tubes will be a question.
    Always remember that heat rises. Mounting rads to the top always bugged me. :|

    Other notes:
    Seagate....icky icky poo poo. WD rulez. Personal preference.
    I am not a big fan of Corsair fans. They are usually much louder than their ratings. They do have good airflow...but get noisy.


    "Someone once said...size doesn't matter...it's the way you use it. That person apparently had a tiny pecker." - Defender2803

  10. #10
    Devil Dog Kirium's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-28-2007
    Location
    Frisco, TX
    Posts
    1,328

    Default Re: Potential new Build, thoughts?

    New Link:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Bdrexel/saved/bFKG3C

    Ok, to answer your questions. I plan on cooling with liquid on the CPU. total wattage comes out to 611 watts.

    I changed the case and decided to go ahead and go with the EATX board.

    the big thing on the maxwell cards (GTX 970 and 980) is how low usage they are on power pull and heat. So I'm not too concerned there.

    I will use the Phanteks Envoo Luxe case and will put the radiator on the top.

    I also changed to WD, I've always used WD anyway, so just changed that out. Also changed the SSD to the 500GB Samsung 850 Evo.

    I will overclock but not a huge amount.

    I rarely do a new build anymore, so my goal was to get one with the newest chipset and processor I could, this should hold up for me for many years.






    Quote Originally Posted by Defender2803 View Post
    Are you planning on overclocking? The K processors are for overclocking. I haven't had a need for one in some time as I got out of that phase a while back. :) The 4790 is a faster clock speed but less cores. Save dough and wattage.

    Also...

    Where are you going to mount your CPU cooler? The wattage of your cards and CPU are more than my old i7-920 and 5970 card. Air flow is going to be the question. Radiators restrict airflow as much as they cool. I am more of an air cooling guy but my H50 cooled the 920 with ease...even when over clocked. While everything else was Arctic cooling or Noctua. However...with mine I added a fan to the H50 for push pull config and turned them around (original instructions was to push air out). The case pulled air in from everywhere...including radiator at the back... and blew it out the top. A larger radiator would have moved where my air came in and where it went out. The 5970 was 300W and made the surface of the sun look tame. I replaced stock cooler for it...but added fans to pull air away from it.

    From what I see you will mount the radiator in the front and pull air in through it...fans on top to drag out all the heat. A single sized radiator and a 4790 CPU will do the same thing but you have options for mounting. Also length and plumbing of your tubes will be a question.
    Always remember that heat rises. Mounting rads to the top always bugged me. :|

    Other notes:
    Seagate....icky icky poo poo. WD rulez. Personal preference.
    I am not a big fan of Corsair fans. They are usually much louder than their ratings. They do have good airflow...but get noisy.

    SEPIUS EXERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATER INFINITAS "Often Tested, Always Faithful, Brothers Forever"


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:11 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
vBulletin Skin By: PurevB.com